Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dolly Sees the Vet and Farrier for the First Time

Dolly showing more confidence        Ainslie Sheridan copyright March 2011




Dear Reader and Friends,

       A big day in our little Dolly’s life--her first encounter with a farrier and her first real encounter with a veterinarian. (A vet had drawn blood testing for infectious anemia when she arrived at the auction house.  But, no doubt, she was immobilized in a chute when that had been done).

      Jay Smith, our wonderful farrier, rang me the night before Dolly’s appointment.

       “Ainslie, you’ve got a broken arm.  How’s this going to work?
       “Juliane will be here.”
        “She have enough experience to hang on to her?”
        “Yes .” 
     
     But actually I wasn’t sure that, even with both my arms operational,  I could hold onto a horse—a fairly wild horse--who could become terrified when someone she didn’t know attempted to lift one of her legs off the ground.  And there were two other obstacles to overcome first.  First, I had to get a halter on Dolly with my one good arm.  My right could help but I couldn’t lift it very high, and I had been warned not to get it bumped.  I hadn’t yet attempted to get a halter on her because, until recently, I'd simply been physically too fragile.  But for the past week I'd been hand-feeding Dolly grain while holding the rope halter.  In order to access the grain she had to put her muzzle through the bottom part of the halter.   She wasn’t thrilled with it but she wanted that sweet feed.

       Second obstacle:  Dolly needed to endure a shot of tranquilizer.  She would be able to remain standing but would become very woozy.  It’s a process that requires tact.  If a horse gets frightened before, during, or soon after the injection, it can have an adrenalin rush that can completely over ride the medication.  I’ve seen this happen with horses who had been handled since they were babies.
    
        Jay came early and spent considerable time with Dolly out in her round pen just letting her get used to him.  But an hour before the vet was due I thought it best to get her into her stall. With the promise of grain she walked in.  But as soon as the door was shut, she anxiously called out to the other horses while walking in agitated circles.  So I brought Tica into the barn to baby sit.  It worked:  Dolly immediately settled down.

       I rubbed her shoulder and neck with that halter then put the crown piece over her neck.  Next, with no grain this time, she allowed me to slip the halter over her head then loosely tie it in place.  I backed off.  Dolly remained calm so I stepped forward and managed to get the halter securely fastened. 

       Forty-five minutes later the vet, Dr. Sara Tryjankowski, arrived.  I fed Dolly grain while Sara stepped up to her neck, and in less than a second the needle of tranquilizer was in then out.  Dolly quickly raised her head but then—almost just as quickly--resumed eating grain.  What a good girl!

      In twenty minutes Dolly eyes were half-shut and her head had dropped.  It was time for Jay.  Here's a series of you tubes of that encounter followed by Sara floating (filing) her teeth.


















And finally here is a picture of Dolly three days after the farrier gave her  hooves on which she could comfortably walk, and and the vet teeth with which she could chew comfortably and effectively.  Please compare it with our earlier blog picture when she was wearing the hated "613" sticker--the numbers which--my good friend Jennifer pointed out--individually add up to a perfect ten. 



                                 Dolly Friday March 18, 2011  Ainslie Sheridan copyright 2011


            

      So, after one more lesson, a quick shower and throwing a few things into an overnight bag,  it's off to London to meet my husband and then to Wales for two days.  I will enjoy the break but I'm hoping the real break will begin on my return.  The snow should be all gone, dressage ring completely dry, and Dolly healthier still.  Then the real fun with her will begin.   

      

2 comments:

  1. Looking so much better already, can't wait until she sheds out & adds a few pounds! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We are so happy were were able to get as much done as we did. And you're exactly right: She needs to gain a few more pounds and shed out. We also need to get after that tail again. We got into several buckets of warm soapy water but it still needs a lot of work--mats, snarls and manure.

    Ainslie

    ReplyDelete